Sunday, July 29, 2007

Rave: That's what I like in a student (part 2)

I respect these guys not because they were the best at computing (some of them really weren't), not because they had a passion for my subject (they didn't), and not because they were the best and brightest (though this may well have been true). I respect them because even though my subject pissed them off, they didn't try to cheat, lie or weasel their way out of it; instead they did the work. It's like that line from The Life of David Gale
"Berlin, I will give you an A for the course if you will only...just...study"

These guys did study, and they respected me, and used me well as a teaching resource. If the egos majoring in computing were half as dedicated, respectful, and downright decent as these guys, the IT world would be a better place. I shook one of their hands at the end of the semester; I never got the chance with the others. Guys, you know who you are, and my hat is off to you.

No comments: